You are the Cure Luncheon Educates Ann Arbor on Komen’s Local and Global Impact

You are the Cure Luncheon Educates Ann Arbor on Komen’s Local and Global Impact

Media Contact:
Courtney Sorman
csorman@komenmichigan.org
616.752.8262 x2010

Susan G. Komen® Michigan hosts “You are the Cure” luncheons to raise awareness and funds in support of the fight against breast cancer.

ANN ARBOR – Susan G. Komen® Michigan continued its series of “You are the Cure” luncheons on June 9, 2015 with an event at Weber’s Inn in Ann Arbor, MI. The luncheon aimed to inform members of the community on how funds raised by Komen Michigan are used to support local breast health programs and global breast cancer research. 75% of the funds raised by Susan G. Komen® Michigan stays in the community to fund education, screening and diagnostic testing and survivorship programs. The remaining 25% helps support ground-breaking international breast cancer research to find the cures.

It is estimated that approximately 7,029 cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in Michigan this year. Since 2002, Komen Michigan has granted more than $803,000 to Washtenaw County breast health organizations to help ensure that those cases are diagnosed early.

Ann Arbor is also home to the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, a premier cancer research institution. As a national organization, Susan G. Komen® has awarded numerous grants to the university to assist with their innovative breast cancer research programs.

In addition to educating community members on the importance of these Komen-funded programs, “You are the Cure” serves as a call to keep fighting breast cancer until it is no longer a life-threatening disease. “You were invited today to take action. On a global and local basis, we can’t do it without you,” said Tanya Horan, Development Director of Komen Michigan. Sponsors for the luncheon included Llamasoft, Ruby Slipper Design and WLNS-TV. With the support of these local businesses, volunteers and individual donors, Komen raised more than $7,000 during the hour-long event.

###

 

About Susan G. Komen® Michigan

Komen Michigan is an independent, local non-profit organization that is dedicated to combating breast cancer. Seventy-five percent of the organization’s net proceeds go towards programs and funding grants to local hospitals and community organizations that provide breast health education, screenings, diagnostics and survivorship programs for underserved men and women in Michigan.  The remaining 25% of net proceeds funds global, leading-edge research focused on the prevention of, and cures for, breast cancer. Komen Michigan’s mission is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality of care for all, and energizing science to find the cures.  For more information call (616) 752-8262 or visit www.komenmichigan.org.

 

About Susan G. Komen®

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $847 million in research and provided $1.8 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Visit komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN. Connect with us on social at ww5.komen.org/social.